by adamboyden on 20 April, 2018
I have worked hard for 7 years now as the Lib Dem councillor for Frome College ward on Mendip District Council (since May 2011) and Frome Town Council (from December 2013 to May 2015), with and for the local community on a wide range of issues.
A record of action:
Over the last 7 years I have:
1. Successfully campaigned over several years for local control of the old Showfield (the largest open space in northern Frome), and helped Frome Town Council purchase and lease the site, overcoming a legal impasse, unlocking £40,000 of improvements and improving management and residents’ involvement. This is now becoming a park to be proud of.
2. Led a successful cross party campaign to persuade Mendip District Council to facilitate Changing Places facilities throughout the district, so that severely disabled people and their carers have accessible toilets in each of the 5 main settlements. Changing Places are now found in Frome and Wells, with more on the way.
3. Won improvements to the GP appointments system in Somerset’s largest GP surgery, to help busy working people, by doing a survey of patients experiences and reporting back to the surgery.
4. Helped people in financial distress by tackling Mendip’s use of Council Tax bailiffs, getting Mendip to improve its service agreement with bailiff companies and sign up to a good practice protocol with Mendip Citizens Advice.
5. While welcoming Mendip’s purchase of the derelict Saxonvale site, I joined with other councillors to call for local people to be fully consulted by Mendip before a planning application to regenerate the site is submitted.
6. Opposed Mendip’s increase in car park charges, helping to win concessions to help the Frome Independent and Shepton Mallet monthly markets.
7. Fracking: protected the local environment and Bath’s hot springs with a strong Lib Dem and cross-party MDC motion on fracking.
8. Persuaded Mendip to sign up to fight climate change by joining the Local Government Association’s Climate Local initiative (more needs to be done to get Mendip to prepare the required action plan).
9. Helped the campaign to save the Frome to Bath weekday evening bus service.
12. Worked to protect the Packsaddle play areas from development and transfer them to Frome Town Council, so they can be improved in line with local community wishes.
13. Campaigned for a new pedestrian crossing at the old Mendip Lodge Hotel site, for new residents and existing residents to be able to cross Bath Road more safely.
15. Successfully opposed the over development of the field at the end of Packsaddle Way.
16. Organised a public meeting, and kept the pressure on MDC to tackle the massive flytipping problem at Gypsy Lane, as well as flygrazing.
20. Campaigned for better public engagement and devolution of powers from Mendip to Frome.
21. Kept in touch with residents in person, via leaflets, email, and frequent email newsletters, been positive and proactive, and formed good working relationships with everyone I can, to help get things done.
I am currently also hoping to work on helping set up a homeless rough sleepers emergency winter night shelter in Frome, because there isn’t one and this could save people lives, with Fair Housing for Frome. A meeting is arranged for 20th September to take that forward.
Thank you, Adam Boyden
Updated 11 September 2018
Leave a comment